10. ‘Woman To Woman’ – Moomin
Charming slice from his recent album. Watch that peach of a bassline.
9. ‘Casbah Breakdown (Joey Negro Re-Edit)’ – Brad Shitt
Joey Negro tastefully melds a Clash classic into a dancefloor weapon.
8. ‘Ai No Corrida’ – Chaz Junkel
Infectious, funky disco from 1980. I prefer this to the more popular Quincy Jones version.
7. ‘Ain’t Nobody (Frankie Knuckles Remix) – Chaka Khan
A big favourite of Greg Wilson – have heard this in two of his online mixes and when I went to see him play out. A poignant piano-driven dub that retains one of the most belt out worthy hooks known to man!
6. ‘Cloudbusting’ – Kate Bush
Yearning, lushly crafted pop off her seminal ‘Hounds Of Love’ album.
5. ‘I Found That Essence Rare’ – Gang Of Four
Rough, tight, funk tinged punk – very catching.
4. ‘Stay’ – The Blue Nile
Haunting, glistening 80s synth-pop from a Glaswegian trio.
3. ‘Don’t Want To Know’ – John Martyn
Gorgeous, intimate song from an inimitable folk legend.
2. ‘SOS’ – Portishead
A tense, eerie cover of an ABBA hit in a minimal arrangement – a hint of the new direction a new album might take? Or is expecting both new Radiohead and Portishead albums in the same year a little too greedy!
1. ‘CIRKLON3 [ Колхозная mix ] – Aphex Twin
Brain tickling bassline, mysterious chimes and a jacking beat – sheer genius again from the master. After seven seconds, you know this is going to be something special! I rate this as one of his best.